Build a Customer Survey: 3 Key Things to Do Now Before Reopening Part 2
When you reopen, seeing your customers again will be a happy reunion. Greet them with a smile and ask how they’re doing. Who knows how their lives have changed in the last several weeks? The COVID crisis has taken quite a toll on some people.
You might not have a lot of time to bond, though, considering social distancing. So, to further renew your connection to your customers, put up an online survey. Asking customers some smart, pointed questions can help you find out what people expect from your business now.
Consider these steps:
- Search “online survey tools” on the internet to see which tool to use.
- Build your survey and have someone review it for clarity.
- Post the survey on your website and promote it with a banner on your home page and a sign at your physical location.
- Put the web address of the survey on your receipts, business cards and emails that you send to customers.
- Ask customers to share their honest feedback. Decide if you need to offer an incentive to them so you get a good number of responses.
When you write the survey:
- Assure anonymity for respondents, but provide a space for their comments and names if they choose to share them.
- Start with an introduction that says you value feedback and will take action on the best ideas.
- Write questions whose answers you are willing to take seriously and act on.
Here are some starters for you to consider:
Thank you for being our customer. We want to make sure that we offer you a great experience when you visit us. Please answer these questions to help us shape how we do business in this new era.
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us. Please tell us how important these precautions are in the face of coronavirus:
- Limiting the number of customers allowed in the store at one time. Critical, Advisable, Unnecessary
- Limiting the time that each customer can spend in the store during a visit. Critical, Advisable, Unnecessary
- All store employees wear face coverings. Critical, Advisable, Unnecessary
- All customers wear face coverings. Critical, Advisable, Unnecessary
- All store employees wear gloves. Critical, Advisable, Unnecessary
- All customers wear gloves. Critical, Advisable, Unnecessary
- Employees gather all of the customer’s goods while the customer waits. Critical, Advisable, Unnecessary
- A transparent barrier separates the customer and employee at the check-out counter. Critical, Advisable, Unnecessary
- Customers keep their credit card or debit card in hand while paying. Critical, Advisable, Unnecessary
- Customers have the option to check out and pay without employee assistance. Critical, Advisable, Unnecessary
Tell us why you shop with us and what we can do better generally.
- Rate the quality of our goods overall: Above Average, Average, Below Average
- Is there something in our store that you make a special trip to buy from us? If so, what is it?
- Is there something we sell that you would never consider buying because of its quality? If so, what is it?
- Rate the variety of our goods overall: Above Average, Average, Below Average
- Is there anything that we stock too much of?
- Is there anything that we stock too little of?
- Is there a product that we don’t carry that you wish we did?
- Please rate our prices overall: Too High, About Right, Too Low
- Is there something we sell that you always buy elsewhere because it’s cheaper? If so, please tell us what that is.
- What types of sales or promotions do you think we should offer?
- Do you feel welcome when you enter our store?
- Is there anyone in particular on our team that you’re always happy to see?
- Do we serve you quickly enough?
- What traits do you value most in people who wait on you?
- Rate the lighting inside our store: Too Bright, Just Right, Too Dim
- If you were in charge of music in our store, what would you play, if anything?
- Describe the interior of our store: Pleasant, Neutral, Unpleasant
- What would you change about the interior of the store?
- What would you change about the exterior of the store?
- Rate the overall convenience of shopping at our store: Above Average, Average, Below Average
- Have you ever decided not to visit us purely based on convenience?
- What changes could we make to improve the level of convenience we offer you?
WHAT WILL YOU DO WITH THE FEEDBACK?
Look for the main insights from the feedback and consider posting the more popular answers. People who took time to respond will watch to see what changes you make. When they see that you have listened to them, they will know that you really care about them as customers.
And whether or not the survey is a success, try it again in six months. Good luck!
To read more ideas on handling today’s small-business challenges, see our other articles in our COVID-19 Resource Center.